What’s the Story – just the three of us

20131012-184021.jpg

This photo was taken almost five years ago.

It was our last weekend away as a family of three.

I was pregnant with the 4yo!

We were at my husband’s best friend’s wedding, in Ireland.

We had an amazing weekend. The wedding was beautiful. The 7yo, then just two and half, was very taken with the Princess who got married. We enjoyed the ceremony and the meal together – his behaviour was impeccable and he made us very proud. He and I then went off to bed, while hubby enjoyed the rest of the evening with old friends (and Guinness!).

I treasure the time we had as a three.

I wish there was a way to create the same for the 4yo and the wee girl, but of course there isn’t.

It is unique to our life with the 7yo.

But, the times we have with the 4yo and the wee girl are special in their own way. And, although the 7yo had our undivided attention for almost three years, he didn’t have a big brother to play with!

As we navigate life as a family of five, we are conscious of ensuring that each of them have times that are theirs alone.

Their own unique moments.

It’s a tricky balancing act, one that we don’t always get right. But we do our best.

Weekends like this may be slightly a lot more chaotic now, but there are no less fun!

I am linking up with the lovely Charly at Podcast for What’s the Story? To see other stories behind the picture, click on the badge below.

I am also linking up with the wonderful Jaime at The Oliver’s Madhouse – why not hop on over and take a look at some other magical moments!

34 thoughts on “What’s the Story – just the three of us

1. Denise

You don’t look any different!

Sounds a perfect weekend – I think we appreciate some time with adults so much more when it’s a break from little ones.

2. Notmyyearoff

Sounds so sweet about your 7 year old being taken with the Princess, sounds like a lovely wedding! :) We only have the one, Z, who will be 3 in December and I cherish our time as a family of 3. We do want one more and I know it won’t be the same with a second but the big bonus I guess our second will get is the joy of a sibling and ready made friend :)

1. Sara (@mumturnedmom)

Exactly – it’s different with each one – and at the end of the day, they don’t know any different, do they?! But, it does get much harder to have quality one-on-one time with each of them, you just need to make time x

1. Sara (@mumturnedmom)

You’re absolutely right, it’s especially noticeable with the wee girl – she’s physically well ahead because she runs after her brothers all the time! We have a lot of fun, but it is nice to get a little time alone with the boys now and again :)

3. PODcast (@The_Doves)

Love how your 7 YO thought the princess was taken, bless him. What a wonderful memory and a fabulous photo. It must be weird looking back to when you were a threesome now. Fabulous that each of them will have their own memories and siblings to play with. Great post, thank you for sharing with #whatsthestory

4. Sarah MumofThree World

Sweet photo! I remember on what I thought would be our last weekend as a three I went a bit crazy buying stuff for my son. I wanted to spoil him as it was the end of his time alone. But then we got another weekend too! We went out for the day to look at ducks. That was very nearly 10 years ago now.

5. amanda walsh

lovely family picture, i feel its so important to try and spend individual time with our children.We take them out on alternate saturdays to do an activity of their choice

6. Pingback: What’s the Story – just the three of us | Love All Blogs

7. franglaisemummy

Happy memories – there is a 6 year age gap between our girls so this really resonates with me. It’s a juggling act this parenting malarkey!

8. Pingback: PODcast | What's The Story? | 21st October 2013

9. Jane

Sounds like a great memory to have as a three. I love being a three and worry about that changing, not sure if I want it to change. A great story x